If you suffer from food allergies, it can seem like it’s difficult to have a meal you can enjoy. However, with the recent rise in new food products, it can be extremely easy and satisfying! Read on to learn about some substitutions for food allergies.
There are a lot of dairy free options available in the supermarkets today. You can find some of the following in any supermarket:
As you can see, there are a lot of different types of milk substitutions and all of them can be used for different recipes and types of food. An added bonus is that a lot of these options tend to be even healthier for you than regular dairy milk.
Gluten allergies are one of the more common types of food allergies and it can be difficult to find food because almost everything seems to have gluten, or some form of it. However, there’s been an increase in demand for gluten free products and most supermarkets now have a section that caters to this diet. If not though, you should try to find food with some of the following ingredients:
- Grains and Flours: arrowroot, corn, cornmeal, buckwheat, quinoa, wild rice, lentils, potato flour, etc.
- Breads, Biscuits, Cakes: look for gluten free or GF on the label or look for products that are made with any types of flours or grains above.
Eggs are an easy item that can be swapped in recipes by using some of the following tricks:
- Use an extra teaspoon of baking powder for each egg that is needed
- Make a mixture with water and arrowroot powder
- Use gelatin as a binder instead
Please note that if you plan to try any of these substitutions or make any changes to your diet, you should first consult our asthma and allergy specialists in Hunterdon County, NJ, and surrounding areas.
To schedule an appointment, please give us a call today at (908) 526-0200!